There’s been a lot of debate raging about which type of sex doll to buy. Should you get silicone because it’s more durable and easier to clean? Or do you choose TPE because it is the more flesh-like material?
In this post, we’re going to discuss this issue comprehensively. We’ll have a look at the differences in a lot more detail so that you can make a more informed decision for yourself.
Why Are We at This Point Now?
As new technologies have emerged, it’s become possible for us to start making sex dolls that look and feel like the real deal. Silicone has the material of choice for premier manufacturers for many years now.
These dolls look and feel close enough to the real thing to pass for it. There’s a problem, though. You can’t just use any silicone – it has to be medical-grade. That, in turn, jacks up the price substantially. Simply put, using silicone made these dolls more of a luxury item.
Over time, it was only natural for a newer, more affordable option to be developed. TPE is considered a viable substitute. It’s a lot less expensive to produce and is more of a life/skin-like material.
As a result, TPE is becoming a lot more commonly used.
What is TPE?
The full term is thermoplastic rubber, and it’s classified as a copolymer. TPE is made of a blend of plastic and rubber; these components are chosen for their strength and durability. The most important properties of TPE are:
- Thermoplastic: This is a high-density plastic that is extremely strong and dense. It can withstand very high temperatures.
- Elastomeric: This means that it’s more moldable. It’s this property that gives the TPE more jiggle and give. If you tug at it, it will stretch a little more than pure medical-grade silicone.
You’re probably using something made out of TPE in your home already. It’s easy to inject and mold into forms and a lot more pliable than silicone. That makes it ideal for items like spatulas, and so on.
These qualities also make it extremely useful when it comes to molding dolls and creating realistic features.
The Benefits of Having a Doll Made From TPE
- The price is a fair deal lower, and you’ll get better value for your money. It’s a good quality substitute that puts in a close performance to silicone.
- The dolls are very lifelike. At a quick glance, you won’t even realize they aren’t real.
- It’s a lot more flexible. It’s squishable, which comes in handy when you’re squeezing her butt or boobs. It also makes it easier to put her in a more lifelike position.
- It’s good at retaining heat but won’t make you swelter.
- TPE is hypoallergenic and odorless.
The Downsides of Having a Doll Made from TPE
- You have to be careful about staining.; the material is porous.
- You can’t sterilize it.
- There’s a variety of mixes used in its manufacture; some TPE is better than others.
It’s essential, with any purchases in this arena, to ensure that you deal with a reputable manufacturer. Make sure to check a good selection of reviews carefully. Check out a few forums and see who the more popular manufacturers are.
Another good thing to look at is what kind of aftersales service the company offers. If there is a defect with the doll, what is the next step? Do people think that the service was good, or did they get the brush-off?
What is Silicone?
Silicone is a polymer that is usually combined with hydrogen, oxygen, and carbon. It’s been popular in the sex industry because it is highly durable, easy-to-clean, and won’t be affected by a petroleum-based lube.
Silicone can be made soft or extremely firm – it all depends on what it’s being used for. It’s heat-resistant, and so some manufacturers install a heating system within the doll. This is possible with a silicone model because it’s not going to overheat and get distorted.
The Benefits of Having a Doll Made of Silicone
- The genitalia can be very accurately recreated. Silicone parts are usually more realistic than those made from other materials.
- It’s easy enough to heat up. Some dolls have built-in heaters to keep them close to body temperature. Some come with wands that can be used to heat individual areas.
- It’s non-porous. That means that it won’t stain easily, and it’s also a lot easier to clean your doll.
- Silicone is hypoallergenic.
- It’s got a fairly realistic feel and can be soft and pliable where it counts.
- Silicone is simpler to care for and tends to be more durable.
The Downsides of Having a Doll Made from Silicone
- Be prepared to put down more money. More curvy models are even pricier.
- Some people feel that that the silicone is a little sticky. You can overcome this by putting baby powder onto the skin.
- No matter how soft they make it, it’ll always be firmer than TPE. This makes them harder to position and makes them more rigid.
- It can have a slight odor initially.
Which One Should You Choose?
If you choose a reputable supplier, you can’t go wrong with either option. It’s going to depend on what your budget is and what features are most important to you. If you want something that is simpler to take care of, the silicone model might work well.
Having the heating feature could also be a nice plus. Just keep in mind that it’s going to add to the cost. Silicone is a lower-maintenance option, but you’ll pay for that convenience.
TPE has definite advantages, too, though. It’s got a more realistic feel. It’s not quite as durable as the silicone and might require more careful handling. This is not too much of an issue as long as you know it going in.
With proper care, TPE models can last as long as their silicone counterparts. I’d recommend having a look at both so that you can determine which one you like best.